2006-07-25

More Troops to Baghdad

Yet another story about security in Baghdad. Thankfully, they're adjusting now that it is clear that the never-ending "emergency" security provisions in Baghdad aren't effective at stopping the blooming sectarian violence:
President George W. Bush and Iraq's prime minister said on Tuesday more U.S. and Iraqi troops will go to Baghdad to try to slow sectarian violence in talks that exposed gaps between them on the Middle East.

"God willing, there will be no civil war in Iraq," Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said.
Over 1000 dead per week? Close to 8,000 in the last two months? Sorry, Prime Minister, but it looks like God has already made that call.

You know, I'm done posting about the descending spiral in Iraq. As realistic as I was about the chances for a sea-change catalyzed by the still newish national unity government, I was at least hopeful that change would occur. I practiced the tinkerbell strategy with the best of them, clapping as hard as I could for the new Iraqi government. Low and behold, it turns out that my optimism had no effect on conditions on the ground! What a shocker.

I'll post more about Iraq when something changes for the better, or changes dramatically for the worse. Anyone want to put money on which one comes first?

No comments: