2008-06-02

The Why of Bush's War

It has been said that President Bush thought being viewed as a wartime president was key to securing a successful presidency and avoiding the one-term embarrassment that his father endured. This has been one of the possible "real reasons" for the Iraq War, and now we hear it from a loyalist. McClellan:
Every president wants to achieve greatness but few do. As I have heard Bush say, only a wartime president is likely to achieve greatness, in part because the epochal upheavals of war provide the opportunity for the transformative change of the kind Bush hoped to achieve. In Iraq, Bush saw his opportunity to create a legacy of greatness.
What we've been saying all along. We were right.

Furthermore
Bush admits to Engel that going to war was a decision based on his personal instinct and not on any long-range strategy for the Mideast:

“I know people are saying we should have left things the way they were, but I changed after 9/11. I had to act. I don’t care if it created more enemies. I had to act.”
Yup. "I don't care if it created more enemies. " I'd rather do something, even if it's bad for America, than look like I didn't do anything. That's the kind of leadership we want from our President! Hell, it isn't even strategic myopia. It's the complete unawareness that a thing called Strategy even exists.

Let us never again elect a simpleton to this job.

No comments: