2006-06-06

Talking with Iran

My concerns about our commitment to real diplomatic engagement with Iran are decreasing. Our initial precondition to talking with Iran had been the sticking point worrying me. But now the private offer has been delivered to the Iranian government, and they're looking at it... without having first ceased their enrichment program. In other words, the big deal-breaking precondition isn't a precondition at all. It's nothing more than part of the deal offered. Take the requirements the deal places upon Iran and tack on the non-enrichment requirement, that's all. But, of course, it looks like we're playing tough - having our demands met and all of that. It's brilliant, and it's exactly the sort of shadowy, behind the scenes goings on in the State Department that I expect from my diplomats. Bully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested