2009-02-24

Obama and McCain at Fiscal Summit

At the Fiscal Summit yesterday, a bunch of great stuff happened. Sure, sure, Obama game a great speech filled with sober assessments, honesty and graciousness. That's quickly becoming par for the course.

Part of that graciousness created the other notably awesome event of the day. Obama called on Senator McCain to ask the first question or make the first statement to the group. Unable to resist getting a dig in at the President, McCain said:
"We all know how large the defense budget is," the Arizona Republican said. "We all know that the cost overruns, your helicopter is now going to cost as much as Air Force One. I don't think that there's any more graphic demonstration of how good ideas have cost taxpayers enormous amount of money."
"Oooooh, that got him!" thinks McCain and his Republican buddies. "I just made him look like a hypocrite at his own Fiscal Responsibility Summit!"

Obama replied, as always on the counter-punch:
"I've already talked to [Defense Secretary Robert] Gates about a thorough review of the helicopter situation. The helicopter I have now seems perfectly adequate to me. Of course, I've never had a helicopter before. So, you know, maybe -- maybe I've been deprived and I didn't know it. But I think it is an example of the procurement process gone amuck, and we're going to have to fix it."
Booya.  Smackdown delivered.  Anyone wonder why Obama won the election?

Update: There's video! Hooray!



I love this guy.

No comments: