2009-02-25

Public Hated Jindal's Response

I don't actually have polling numbers to back that title up as I do in the parallel post below, but if the Fox News guys had this reaction, then you know how it played in the country at large:
BRIT HUME: It read better than it sounded… this was not Bobby Jindal’s greatest rhetorical moment.

NINA EASTON: The delivery was not terrific.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Jindal didn’t have a chance.

JUAN WILLIAMS: Childish.
If it had been in the ballpark of a close decision, they would have spun it as a great victory for Jindal and the GOP.

Or how about David Brooks, one of those "Washington Conservative Intellectuals" that Rush Limbaugh hates so much:
JIM LEHRER: Now that, of course, was Gov. Bobby Jindal, the governor of Louisiana, making the Republican response. David, how well do you think he did?

DAVID BROOKS: Uh, not so well. You know, I think Bobby Jindal is a very promising politician, and I oppose the stimulus because I thought it was poorly drafted. But to come up at this moment in history with a stale "government is the problem," "we can't trust the federal government" - it's just a disaster for the Republican Party. The country is in a panic right now. They may not like the way the Democrats have passed the stimulus bill, but that idea that we're just gonna - that government is going to have no role, the federal government has no role in this, that - In a moment when only the federal government is actually big enough to do stuff, to just ignore all that and just say "government is the problem, corruption, earmarks, wasteful spending," it's just a form of nihilism. It's just not where the country is, it's not where the future of the country is. There's an intra-Republican debate. Some people say the Republican Party lost its way because they got too moderate. Some people say they got too weird or too conservative. He thinks they got too moderate, and so he's making that case. I think it's insane, and I just think it's a disaster for the party. I just think it's unfortunate right now.
That'll make for fun Rush listening tomorrow.  I can't wait.

I don't know what to do with so much positive emotion.  I'm still a little out of sorts with this change that's finally come to our nation's politics.

Update: Here's the longest Jindal video I can find, and it is truly a trainwreck:

No comments: